Box is an innovative file sharing and editing software. Files can be uploaded from anywhere, on any device into the account of the Box.com user. The main features include the ability to upload, edit, and share files with your team in the cloud and allow for multiple users to collaborate on projects.
- Simplified File Sharing & Storage: The software and mobile app allow for the simple upload, sharing, and collaborative editing of a document via the Box Software Cloud storage system.
- Feature-rich Collaboration: All members of team or business deal can upload and collaborate on the content, share comments within the software and make motes to highlight specific items in the documentation for either one person or the whole group.
- Secure & Safe: The software is backed by a permission system that manages and encrypts all security key to make for streamlined functionality and security.
- Box Notes: This is the main storage unit for all the files. The files can be edited, uploaded, downloaded, protected, and shared within the main Box notes system.
- Box Security: The managed encryption are state of the art given the sensitive nature of documents in the storage system.
- Box Keysafe: The ability to have multiple users in one account at a time allows for an administrator to generate username, password combinations for other team members.
- Limited Desktop Functionality: People have noted that the ability to actually edit the documents within the storage system is a bit lacking. A similar software, DropBox, allows for the direct integration of Microsoft Word's document editor.
- Waterfall Permission Structure: This is the ability to assign specific permissions to users based on folders and subfolders. A similar software, Google Drive, has a permission structure that is much better in terms of accessibility. A user can simply be given permission to a folder or not.
- Access control granularity: This refers to the amount of data that can be assigned specifically to individual users. A similar program, Microsoft OneDrive, allows for the management of varying amounts of data in conjunction with the individual user's authorization for a specific folder or subfolder.
Box maintains a strong reputation in the cloud data and document storage software arena. The ability to instantly save a document to the cloud, edit it with various tools at the convenience of your team members, then upload - make this software desirable.