THE SKINNY WHEN IT COMES TO SMARTFILE…… Smartfile has been around since 2009. It was developed by a pair of entrepreneurs from Indiana. The idea behind this program is to allow end users to easily create an FTP that has a simple user interface. FTP stands for, “File Transfer Protocol.” FTPs are generated and used as pseudo servers that allow easy cloud storage, access and even the saving and editing of files among a group of users. From scratch, using an OS with very little other resources, FTP utilization can be difficult to achieve. This recent wave of modern cloud storage solutions brings the concept back to the forefront and allows, even those less savvy end users, to incorporate it. WHEN REVIEWED AGAINST SIMILAR SOLUTIONS…….. Pricing is attractive for all five tiers that are offered. The bottom tier is under $20 a month while the top tier can demand closer to $300 (this is for 250GB of cloud storage, however.) The bottom tier is a nice touch. Many competitors seem to start around a tier higher as far as price range is concerned. The system is easy to use. The developers know this because the free trial doesn’t even require a credit card! They really want you to dive in and try for yourself to prove this point. Very few people that do will complain. This application offers 256-bit encryption in all the popular schemes. This allows a user to know that they are paying for a service that keeps any introduced file(s) as safe as possible.
- The ability to send files via email to other end users.
- In fact, there is an option to email all new files directly!
- The ability to access files using a smartphone or tablet device (i.
- In today’s landscape, this is really something that should be EXPECTED though.
- A simple user interface that allows for the dragging and dropping of any introduced files.
- User notifications for various file-related activities that might take place within the software.
- An advanced level of individual control for each introduced file (i.
- The ability for the end user to customize the package by branding it with their own artwork or logo.
- Bottom tier pricing structure that is attractive and the ability to try it out without entering any type of credit card information!
- An easy to use interface that serves its purpose effectively and offers a respectable amount of space for the cost.
- There’s certainly a lot of competition out there. This is a great program (if your needs fit it,) but other options might appeal more to niche users with specific or unusual needs.
- Customer service options for technical issues are not as robust as with some of the other developers out there. If you enjoy using the software with no trouble, this shouldn’t be an issue.