Nextcloud is a suite of cloud-based software that gives a company a secure central location for all aspects of business data, including file sharing, chat, e-mail, software development and any other computer application. The app is actually divided into four separate products: Nextcloud Files, Nextcloud Talk, Nextcloud Groupware and Nextcloud at Home. Nextcloud was founded by ownCloud inventor Frank Karlitschek in 2016. It's a spin-off from Struktur AG, a web conferencing and financial planning software development company that founded in 1995. The software has been featured in TechRepublic, ZDNet, Fortune, eWeek, the Register and other media outlets. Notable customers that user Nextcloud include Siemens and the Australian Council of Trade Unions. They are a direct competitor to Google Drive, Box.net, Citrix, DropBox, Office365 and other similar cloud applications.
- All-in-one solution for secure business communication and file storage using cloud technology
- Compliance with HIPAA and other standards
- Integration with Microsoft Outlook
- A focus on security sets this software apart from other cloud-based data solutions
- Somewhat affordable at around $2,400 per year for the most basic plan
- All offerings are fully open source
- Compatability with all major operating systems on mobile phones and desktops/laptops
- Businesses with over 50 users will have to play a large sum to support additional users
Businesses that deal with sensitive data must take measures to ensure security. Nextcloud allows such firms to reign in control of business operations by keeping all business data and communications within a single cloud infrastructure. Nextcloud's uses include a chat platform, e-mail handler, office-wide calendar and event scheduler, file server and software development platform. The software is inherently compliant with leading industry standards of security, including HIPAA and GDPR. It has built-in auditing capabilities and file access control to ensure administrators keep a tight lid on sensitive data. The software works with both mobile and desktop clients. Pricing is reasonable and additional packages are available that offer support for Collabora Office Online and secure sharing with Microsoft Outlook. The company behind the software offers branding services and can offer configuration and installation support for a one-time fee.