HelloTalk is a great app for people who have started to learn a new language and want the chance to be able to practice the language with native speakers.
- Search by language, city, and distance allowing you to connect to users you may be able to connect with in real life
- Voice to text option to make chatting a breeze
- Text to voice option to hear the pronunciation of messages you receive
- Transliteration options for languages of a different script such as Japanese or Korean
- Translation options for any language are available
- Built-in tools for translation
- Native speakers can correct any mistakes you make
- App supports text, voice, and video to allow you a custom learning experience with whoever you may connect with.
- Translation isn't always perfect
- Time differences may result in long waiting periods between messages
- Limited translations and transliterations with the free account
- Can only learn one language at a time with the free account
HelloTalk is an easy way to integrate practicing a foreign language into your daily routine without having to attend expensive classes or move to a new country. Using this app allows you to speak with real people and use the knowledge you've learned in a way that is conversational and fun. However, there are few limitations if you aren't interested in paying for a full membership for the HelloTalk app. On one hand, this acts as a great incentive to study the language harder however, it may make talking to your HelloTalk partners difficult if you can not translate what they are saying. Another possible issue with this app is that you will receive an absolute flood of people requesting to speak with you. One way to cut back the numbers is to establish a profile that lays down your ground rules of what you expect from your language partner. Setting up these expectations will reduce the number of people taking advantage of you, and using you just to help them learn. This will also allow you to find people you may connect with on certain topics, allowing you to make genuine friendships and encourage you to speak with them more often.