For those who are familiar with Slack, Zulip provides something similar except ensures productivity while emphasizing communication with your teammates. Too often, workers are bogged down with emails or chats over redundant or irrelevant topics. Zulip provides the familiarity of Slack but also includes an email threading model. Their software organizes conversations into their own threads, so that way the conversation isn't interrupted by random links or automated messages. Zulip is also open source with developers who are happy to personalize Zulip for your needs. It was created by hundreds of developers all across the world. Where Zulip really stands out is their algorithm which allows for conversation threads that have been running for a long time to be placed beside real-time chat. This means that if you have a meeting and were unable to keep up with what was being said on the team when you get back to Zulip, you can see what was said and be able to participate regardless of how late you were to the conversation. Instead of being buried or missed, you can see everything that was said and be equipped with the knowledge without needing to send direct messages or emails to rehash what was said.
- Optimized Chat: Without code getting in the way and breaking the chat, users can make bulleted lists and small-time HTML to organize their thoughts.
- LaTeX Functionality: If math needs to be discussed, Zulip can display formulas without the coding breaking it.
- No Missed Emails: You receive notifications of important messages that were missed.
- Starred Messages: Create To-Do lists for optimization and to ensure that you don't miss anything important.
- Invite-Only: To ensure that only your team or desired guests can see what is being discussed, only those invited can see the conversation.
- Open Source: If the desired feature is not listed, Zulip can create and implement it just for you.
- Easy To Use
- Free plan
- Effective Conversation Thread Algorithms
- Billing Can Be a Little Confusing
For those looking for an advanced Slack, Zulip is the tool to use. Not only does it work on your computer or laptop, but it also has applications available for smartphones. The software, itself, is sleek and easy to use. Its use of keeping track of old messages whilst allowing for quick chat ensures that no one is left behind as the topic changes. This, inevitably, clears up any confusion and could result in a decrease of time-consuming meetings. There are two plans available for Zulip. For those who have a smaller selection of people, they may opt to select the free plan. There is no trial period, so it remains free for as long as you wish to use it. There is also a premium plan that comes with more features. The cost is $8 per active user a month. They also provide special plans for non-profit organizations and a sizable discount for educational institutions. So, depending on your situation, the price is agreeable for the service being provided. Because of its effective communication tools, Zulip is perfect for those looking to cut down meetings, or for those with a large number of workers where standard emails just don't cut it anymore.