As writers themselves, the team of HamsterCoders sought to bridge gaps in traditional text editing software and the needs of other modern writers today. Through a streamlined interface that focuses on effectiveness more than special features, Write! wants to offer the least amount of distraction for as much productivity as possible.
- The minimalist setup puts the writer's working text as the focus instead of all the tools and formatting options that aren't necessary until the project is complete.
- A standard selection of fonts and paragraph style settings create a document format that feels as familiar as traditional text editors do.
- The modern interface design mimics browser navigation and tab functions for ease of use when working between several documents in one project.
- It can save a collection of document tabs as a 'sessions' that will pull them all up at once the next time the project is opened.
- Typewriter sound effects can be a popular feature for those who like to work with background nose elements to help them focus.
- Storing documents in the cloud Write! hosts is an option and users can choose to only store their documents locally.
- May be more suitable for digital content or blog writing instead of technical or medical writing projects.
- Syntax has no highlighting when using wikicode markup or other markdown tags.
- Only available as a desktop application, no versions available as a smartphone or tablet application.
In the abundant world of text editors, Write! defines itself through a number of ways unique to its design. Though it operates as a desktop platform, the user-friendly interface functions with browser-based principles to move between different parts of a project seamlessly. Even shaving off seconds from the time it takes to find and assemble separate parts of a project works in a writer's favor. Given how quickly ideas can fade or distractions get in the way of following a thought to its conclusion, operating with the least amount of technical fuss makes way for creativity to flourish. Such a simplified setup may not be potent enough for every writing project, however. While Write! does support certain programming syntax, the capabilities are still limited given its basic function as a text editor. Writers interested in putting together highly technical or manuscripts in need of special formatting may not be able to complete their project only using this software. Cloud storage and access puts documents within easy reach and the software has an option to integrate with Wordpress with a direct publishing option. Other tools for research, like searching through Wikipedia or Google, are also available through the browser-like interface. The standard spell-checking and thesaurus search functions are also included.