A Brief Description of Sinatra Software Sinatra is a software whose development and design is attributed to Blake Mizerany. The software is freely accessible since it is an open source web application that uses domain specific language written in Ruby. The name Sinatra was adopted from the famous musician Frank Sinatra. This software was developed to be an alternative to other Ruby web applications like Merb, Camping, Nitro, and Ruby on Rails. The software is reliant on the Rack web server interface, and it is gaining popularity among developers due to its small size and flexibility. Sinatra software is distinguishable from other applications because it does not use a typical model-view-controller pattern that was previously used in applications such as Ruby on Rails. The development of Sinatra sought to ensure that users were capable of developing web applications in Ruby easily. A Review of Sinatra Sinatra has been used by many leading global tech companies and government agencies. Some of the prominent organizations that have used Sinatra include Apple Inc., LinkedIn, Engine Yard, Singbird, GitHub, Heroku, US National Security Agency, and British Government’s Government Digital Service. Travis CI has been collaborating with the company over the years and provides Sinatra with the much needed financial resources for its continued development.
- You will need to setup routes manually when developing applications and connect them with other aspects of your platform.
- With the Sinatra software, you will be able to get access to methods such as get and post.
- Such methods have the ability to transform applications that are Ruby instantly into an application that is able to respond to HTTP requests.
- Sinatra platform has the capability of developing complex applications such as Rails although when using Sinatra platform, you are likely to find that your codes are jammed up sooner than when using Rails.
- The Sinatra platform acts as a lightweight application development platform that can syntax maps easily and functions used by HTTP verbs making it a preference for web services and APIs.
- The platform can be easy to use if you have prior experience working with Ruby.
- The application provides a great platform for users who previously worked with Rails but are now looking for a simpler Single Page Application or API.
- For those who have worked with both Rails and Rack and need an application that is in between, Sinatra solves the issue.
- The application has the capacity to point out errors and tell you what the problem is. This makes it a better application since this is not common among many platforms.
- Sinatra platform comes with limited barriers of entry for users who wish to develop a Ruby app without having to utilize the extra features that comes with bigger platforms such as Rails.
- The application is limited in terms of the methods available to its users when compared to Rails.
- You might find the lack of community adoption a bother if you are used to community adoption of your projects.
- The application comes with limited number of libraries in addition to the normal Ruby libraries.