FutureLearn is a massive open online course (MOOC) platform that was founded by The Open University in 2012. All courses, programs, and degrees are taught by a consortium of respected colleges and universities.
- Take classes online using a variety of devices
- Over 700 courses, programs, and degree options available
- New free and paid classes, programs, and degrees are being added on an ongoing basis
- Courses are taught by university faculty
- Availability of hundreds of free online courses taught through partner universities
- Courses can be taken online anywhere and anytime using mobile, tablet, or desktop devices
- Learners do not need formal qualifications to take courses
- Hundreds of courses are available
- Graduate certificates and degrees are not free
- Access to free courses is only for course length plus 14 days
- An upgraded plan is necessary to access some free course tests and all completion certificates
FutureLearn offers rich, diverse, and flexible learning opportunities for anyone that is at least the age of 13 and has a mobile phone, tablet, or desktop computer to view and interact with course material. All courses are taught by instructors from over 80 top academic institutions around the globe. With the click of a button, students can join free courses and begin their learning experience. Some courses have specific start dates and others can be started at any time. Course lengths vary from weeks to months. Subjects offered include: * Business & Management * Creative Arts & Media * Health and Psychology * History * Languages & Cultures * Law * Literature * Nature & Environment * Politics & the Modern World * Science, Engineering & Maths * Study Skills * Teaching * Tech & Coding Courses are delivered via video, slides, courseware, and other means that can translate well through connected devices. FutureLearn also provides options so students can get the most out of the platform, including a learning guide packed with study tips, available support with each course, a feedback tool, and more. Overall, FutureLearn is a great platform for a learner to absorb a variety of subjects from some of the best universities in the world – for free. Some may be deterred with the new pricing model that requires students to upgrade in order to receive a course completion certificate, but others who are looking to just complement their existing knowledge shouldn’t worry. It still is an excellent tool for ongoing learning.