Popcorn Time is a movie streaming service based on torrents.
- Popcorn Time has a client available for Windows 7 and higher, Mac OSX 10.
- Linux and for Android 4.
- Android TV.
- There is an iOS client in the works, but it has not yet been released.
- Popcorn Time has thousands of movies and shows available, including some very recent releases.
- Popcorn Time is open source software, meaning that the software is freely available at no cost to you. In addition, movies and shows are available at no cost.
- Content is available in a variety of video resolutions and may include subtitles or alternate languages.
- There is no limit to the quantity of content that you can access using Popcorn Time. You can watch the same show as many times as you want, or watch entire seasons once or many times.
- Popcorn Time uses torrents as the source for the movies you watch. This may not be legal where you live. It is up to you to be aware of the legality of torrent-provided content in your community or country.
- While watching a movie on Popcorn Time, you are "seeding" the torrent, and may be responsible for any issues which arise from distributing copyrighted information.
- Movies that you watch remain on your device in a temporary cache until you restart your computer. This may make the content available for review by anyone, including legal authorities, who have access to or can somehow access your computer.
Popcorn Time is a movie streaming service that relies on torrents to provide the content that you watch. Torrents are a peer-to-peer content distribution system, meaning that there is no centralized repository, such as you see in other video streaming services. Popcorn Time is easy to use. Simply open the application, select a title and the quality or definition desired, along with any subtitles, then hit "Play." It's that easy to start watching a movie or show! Using a Popcorn Time movie as an example, the torrent process begins with your computer requesting an initial torrent file from a server which contains the "metadata" (information about the desired movie) as well as a list of other computers which contain the desired content. Your computer then pulls all the pieces of the content from other computers in the torrent network. Once you have pulled all the pieces onto your computer, your computer assembles it and makes it available for you to watch. At the same time, your computer then becomes a "seeder", sharing the content that you downloaded with other computers on the torrent network. Popcorn Time includes Virtual Private Networking (VPN) software which may help you browse the Internet and use Popcorn Time securely and anonymously. Using the VPN should protect you from monitoring and make your communications untraceable. However, downloading copyrighted content from torrents may be illegal where you live. The Popcorn Time software may still work for you even if it is not legal to use where you are located. It is up to you to know the laws in your country or state.