DESCRIBING DEEPFREEZE SOFTWARE Deepfreeze, by Faronics, is an application that solves a unique problem that many companies have these days; it prevents an end user from making permanent changes to important system/administrative files. The way in which it accomplishes this feat is quite unique indeed. Important system/administrative files will leave what is called, "information at the kernel level," on your hard drive. This is what makes these settings permanent. When your PC hard drive reboots, it sees these files embedded at the kernel level and does not allow them the privilege of loading because Deepfreeze simply deletes them all upon reboot! When you first set Deepfreeze up, you let it know what system/administrative settings you want to stay, “as is.” After this, the software makes sure that anything else is deleted upon startup. It's as if your hard drive were in a freezer all night, so to speak. REVIEWING DEEPFREEZE SOFTWARE When reviewing Deepfreeze, it’s important to mention that the application’s one fault is derived from it’s method of functioning. It cleans the hard drive on boot up! What happens in between boots can still happen. This essentially leaves a short daily window for somebody to install malicious items on your machine(s). The window could, theoretically, be longer than this; the time would be based on frequency of user reboots. Faronics has a clever method of beating this downfall by allowing the user to assign automatically occuring boots that will take place at regular intervals. If an end user takes advantage of this correctly, the in between times should be perfectly safe in an ideal world. We say ideal world because stuff can still happen. As far as serving its purpose, Deepfreeze does not disappoint. Many end users report malicious attacks finally halting after the application’s implementation. This goes for viral infections too. A bit of consideration must be exercised when installing new software REQUIRED by your business! This is because an exception must be added into the Deepfreeze application. If it’s not, your desired software could be kicked out on startup just as any malicious software app would. You have to simply adjust your user settings as you go along and your needs evolve. The adjustments are quite simple to make in the software however.
- The ability to run on many PC’s and refresh their settings with each reboot.
- An interface for updating new permissions that is not difficult to navigate.
- Cloud based options offered in addition to Windows and Mac full install versions!
- Works for businesses, but also good for student/educational settings.
- Considered by some to be the best possible solution for keeping public computer systems as fresh as possible with limited man hours.
- As mentioned directly above, the ability to keep public computers clean with no IT man hours! Prior to Deepfreeze, many system administrators struggled with this sort of thing a great deal.
- This software makes that unnecessary so the administrator can concentrate on more pressing matters.
- Serves its purpose quite well. Offers the ability to schedule routine reboots.
- Not difficult for an end user to learn and implement.
- Great at super managing many computers.
- REQUIRED by your business! This is because an exception must be added into the Deepfreeze application. If it’s not, your desired software could be kicked out on startup just as any malicious software app would. You have to simply adjust your user settings as you go along and your needs evolve. The adjustments are quite simple to make in the software however.
- Even though you can schedule reboots, a window for misbehavior still exists.
- Can be trickier to keep up with if end user gets lazy with updating.