Khan Academy offers online tools to help students learn about a variety of important school subjects. Tools include videos, practice exercises, and materials for instructors. Khan Academy is often used as supplemental learning in K-12 educational settings or wherever the materials can benefit students. Approximately 40 million students use Khan’s resources each month. Khan Academy is a non-profit organization and supported by donations.
- World-class education in primary subjects
- Content is accessible anywhere in the world with an internet connection and on a variety of devices
- Content is produced by professionals and continually updated
- All content is free
- Materials are provided to classroom instructors to facilitate Khan’s material
- Recognized and supported internationally by well-known companies and philanthropists
- Has delivered over 1 billion lessons
- All courses are free and accessible online
- Over 40 million students use Khan Academy monthly
- Courses are designed for supplemental learning
- Students do not interact with online instructors
- Courses do not lead to a certificate, diploma, degree, etc.
Although Khan Academy has been established for less than 10 years, it has grown quickly to be a valuable educational resource, delivering over 1 billion lessons to millions of students all over the world. Khan delivers its material through its website and YouTube. Traditional subjects are covered in detail and in several languages. Due to its focus on fundamental learning through a simple course delivery system, it has also enabled students in remote areas of the planet to access free and valid education. Subject areas covered in Khan Academy include: Math, Science & Engineering, Computing, Arts & Humanities, and Economics & Finance. Khan is also offering college test preparatory courses and was recently named as an official practice partner by College Board’s Advanced Placement division. Although the learning experiences on Khan are valuable, educators are advised to use the material to supplement student’s learning. Some earlier criticisms of Khan Academy were directed at technical errors in videos and the its founder’s lack of a formal background in pedagogy. Changes were made in recent years to address these issues, including the hiring of professional teaching staff to create course videos and materials and correction of earlier technical errors.
It has helped me a lot to learn Physics before my school teaches it. I sometimes get annoyed by typos but it is probably due to my OCD. Salman Khan is my idol (not the actor, but this one).
Khan academy has been unbelievable and has helped my elementary school child tremendously.