Simplenote is a note-taking app that features cloud synchronization and other apps used to access various platforms. The open-source software was created by Automattic, a company linked to WordPress. Its design features a highly efficient search tool and tags that will help you find specific notes. It also provides two ways for note creators to share their content. Although Simplenote is not feature-rich in comparison to its alternatives, it is exceptionally simple to use. Moreover, it does not limit the storage space and comes free for use. You will not need any payments to use any of its features since it has no upgrades or any in-app purchases. It is collaborative and can be accessed on Android, iOS, OSX, Windows, and Linux. This allows it to be used on phones and desktops. With Simplenote, you can make markdown editing as well as publish on a website.
- Note taking
- Note sharing
- Note organizing
- Accessible from everywhere
- It is fast- Most people find Simplenote reliable because it has been designed to help you take notes fast. The app’s high speed is also evident in its synchronization, and it is highly responsive.
- Simple interface- Simplenote features a less complex interface in comparison to its alternatives. This makes it ideal for beginners since its minimalist approach eliminates the use of unnecessary and complex toolbar.
- Revision controlled notes- For every editing you make as you take notes, Simplenote saves it for future referencing. This comes in handy when you realize a mistake has been made on the newer version. You can go back to the previous notes easily for confirmation.
- Ability to work offline- With Simplenote, you no longer have to rely on data connection just to take notes. You can edit and create your notes while offline and synchronize them when you are online.
- You can use the website to connect to Markdown while using Simplenote.
- Limited search- For Simplenote users with large notes, searching for specific items is limited to one tag. This is because you cannot cross-search two items at a time.
- Limited reordering of notes- When it comes to reordering your notes, you are only able to do it alphabetically, according to the date modified, and last created. If you want a custom notes order, you will not be able to drag and drop content created.
- Inability to make file attachments- Simplenote does not support file attachments like other note-taking apps.
- No notifications for edits made on the shared notes- When a contributor of shared notes makes a change on the notes, the other readers are not able to know about it.
The simplicity of Simplenote makes it ideal for the users looking to jot down a few notes. It may be frustrating, however, for writers taking complex notes. The open-source approach however is amazing. The markdown editing and publishing features make Simplenote perfect for marketers. All users can navigate through the app with ease since the toolbar is simple and lacks complex features. As such, the app is a great option for people looking to organize and take notes quickly. Simplenote is free and capable of supporting multiple other apps. It is also reliable and efficient. The security of notes on Simplenote, however, might be a concern since they are in plaintext on cloud.