Atlassian is probably best known for their JIRA product, which helps development teams organize their work while tracking the life-cycles of software bugs and new features. However, the company has a wider suite of applications including HipChat. HipChat is a secure communication platform that functions as an internal chat system for small teams or larger enterprises. Users can create an unlimited number of chat rooms and use each one for a specific project, team, or other purpose. HipChat also has a direct messaging feature, so that you can track individual conversations between yourself and other members of the organization.
- A robust communication platform which allows for group chat rooms and private messaging.
- Support for a range of devices and browsers so that teams can stay connected at all times.
- Easy integration points thanks to Atlassian's suite of tools, including JIRA.
- Available as a web application or as a native application on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android. Alerts and notifications can be configured on a per-user basis so that you never miss an important message from your team.
- Full support of single-sign-on and other common authentication services. This means that your users can access HipChat with their existing enterprise account and not have to worry about managing another password.
- API integration with Atlassian products and other third-party tools. This allows you to quickly receive JIRA status updates right in your chat rooms or set up custom alerts from an external system that monitors you application and reports on performance.
- Notifications on HipChat can be inconsistent. The platform will try to keep your device synchronized, but sometimes you will miss alerts on your mobile phone and end up with a long list of email notifications.
- HipChat offers limited status options for individual users. You can choose to set your account to "Available," "Away," or "Do Not Disturb." The platform does not allow for any custom status messages.
- HipChat can present challenges for teams working across different global regions and time zones. Chat logs can quickly grow long and it may be difficult from cross-region teams to keep track of updates that occurred in their off-time.
HipChat is a viable solution for any team or organization working within the Agile software development framework. Though it can certainly add value to enterprises in different markets or industries, the tool is optimized for a fast-paced coding environment where communication between groups is vital and needs to happen in real-time. The application includes all functionality you would expect in a chat room tool, along with a host of integration and plug-in options. HipChat benefits from being part of the same software suite as JIRA, which makes it a logical choice for teams who use that system for managing their development work.